Our team offers clients integrated counsel at the intersection of State aid, competition, and trade law, providing invaluable insight from former European Commission officials. We advise on business planning and regulatory compliance, and represent clients in formal investigations before the European Commission and proceedings before the European and EU Member State courts, including in recovery proceedings. The team provides clients comprehensive compliance analyses of any public intervention in the economy, at the national, regional, or local level. And we provide cutting-edge advice on emerging regulations, including the Foreign Subsidies Regulation.
Latham advises clients on EU State aid compliance issues related to:
- Concessions, public tenders, and any investment in infrastructure
- Privatizations, state-owned asset sales, and related investment decisions
- Financing of public services
- Tax rulings and fiscal aid
- Public support for energy generation, transmission, and storage
- Banking and financial institutions’ support measures and resolutions
- Rescue and restructuring measures
- Support to cinema and media
Our State aid team brings a sophisticated understanding of how European institutions function in legal, economic, and political contexts. We draw on our collective experience to help clients skillfully navigate transactions or interactions involving public authorities and the private sector.