Richard Levy advises both creditor and company-side clients on complex restructurings and bankruptcies, both in and out of court. He serves as the Global Chair of the Finance Committee and Global Vice Chair of the Restructuring & Special Situations Practice.
Mr. Levy helps clients navigate all types of restructurings, bankruptcies, and distressed transactions. He regularly represents:
- Publicly traded and privately held companies
- Major financial institutions (as agents or steering committees)
- Ad hoc committees
- Creditors’ committees
A Fellow of the American College of Bankruptcy Lawyers, Mr. Levy draws on more than three decades of experience. He is regularly ranked in leading legal publications, which remark on his creative and pragmatic approach.
Mr. Levy has served in several senior leadership positions in the firm, including as a member of the firm’s Executive Committee, as Global Chair of the Finance Department, and as Managing Partner of the Chicago office.
Mr. Levy’s experience includes the following restructuring matters:
- Imerys Talc America in bankruptcy
- Paddock (formerly Owens Illinois) in bankruptcy
- GNC in an out-of-court restructuring
- Chaparral Energy in bankruptcy
- Ad hoc group of senior noteholders in an out-of-court restructuring of GTT Communications
- Ad hoc group of convertible noteholders in bankruptcy of Aegerion Therapeutics
- Ad hoc group of secured lenders in an out-of-court restructuring of American Energy Holdings
- Citibank as arranger and agent for exit financing in the bankruptcy of Syncreon
- Ad hoc group of convertible noteholders as acquirer of controlling interest in the surviving entity of the combination of Amryt Pharmaceuticals Aegerion Therapeutics in connection with Aegerion’s bankruptcy
- Ad hoc group of secured noteholders in the bankruptcy of Real Alloy (including as DIP lenders and as acquirers of the debtor)
- DDJ Capital as pre-petition noteholder, DIP agent and acquirer of Optima Specialty Steel in its bankruptcy
- Total as purchaser of assets of the debtor Cobalt International Energy