Otto von Gruben advises German and international clients on complex M&A and real estate transactions, often in a cross-border context.
Drawing on his breadth of experience across a full spectrum of transactional matters, Mr. von Gruben serves a variety of public and private companies, including strategic investors, private equity, and sovereign wealth funds. His work covers a range of industries, with a particular focus on the real estate, automotive, and healthcare sectors.
Mr. von Gruben's practice includes:
- Corporate real estate and real estate private equity transactions
- Mergers and acquisitions (M&A) and private equity transactions
- Joint ventures
- Distressed transactions
Mr. von Gruben combines a results-driven sensibility and a knowledge of the key market players to complete both German and cross-border deals efficiently. In particular, he frequently navigates clients’ most intricate transactions involving novel structures and complex international considerations.
Mr. von Gruben’s experience includes advising:
- On the sale of its ceramics business
- On the sale of Rheinhütte Pumps to ITT Inc.
- First Sentier Investors on the sale of Ferngas Group to VKB
- The founders of KMK Kinderzimmer Group on the sale of the majority shareholding to Franz Haniel & Cie
- Founder and sole shareholder of Prime Capital AG on the sale of a majority stake to top management
- Rhön-Klinikum on its €3.07 billion sale of major assets (including 40 hospitals) to Dax-listed Fresenius SE
- SERgroup on the sale of a majority stake to The Carlyle Group
- Swiss Life Asset Management AG and Gelsenwasser AG on the acquisition of Infrareal
- TOTAL on the sale of its shares in the joint venture Großtanklager-Ölhafen Rostock to EUROPORTS
- ZF Friedrichshafen on the sale of its global Body Control Systems business to Luxshare
- Angelo, Gordon on various acquisitions (residential, industrial, retail)
- Azure Hotels regarding acquisitions and disposals of several hotels of the Azure Group (Radisson Blu Hotel in Hamburg-Dammtor; Indigo Hotels Hardenbergstraße, and Alexanderplatz in Berlin)
- Corpus Sireo on the sale of a residential real estate portfolio to DWS Real Estate (formerly Deutsche Asset & Wealth Management, RREEF)
- Digital Realty on its US$8.4 billion acquisition of Interxion
- DWS Real Estate on several real estate transactions
- Ludger Inholte Projektentwicklung (LIP) and ABG Real Estate on the sale of the project development at Humboldthafen in Berlin by way of a forward share deal to Zurich
- Morgan Stanley Real Estate Fund on the acquisition and financing of several large real estate portfolios and shopping centers, including the Christie portfolio and the Rhein Ruhr shopping center
- Peugeot Invest on a minority shareholding of 5% in SIGNA Development Selection AG
- Proprium Capital Partners on joint venture, property, and asset management agreements, as well as acquisition financing of two large residential portfolios in Germany