Mike Morin, a nationally recognized first-chair litigator, represents clients across industries in high-stakes IP trials and appeals. He serves as Global Vice Chair of the Litigation & Trial Department and Global Co-Chair of the Healthcare & Life Sciences Industry Group. He previously served as Global Co-Chair of the Intellectual Property Litigation Practice.
Mr. Morin represents leading companies — from start-ups to global leaders — in their most critical intellectual property matters, including multi-billion dollar cases involving many of the world’s best-selling drugs, medical devices, consumer products, and software products. He has led some of the highest-profile patent cases in the country, particularly in the life sciences arena.
From the start of any engagement, Mr. Morin focuses on understanding a client’s business and goals — both for a specific litigation and as part of a long-term strategy. He develops early game plans and then leads teams to execute on those plans in trial, arbitration, or on appeal. He has developed an impressive track record of wins, and a roster of clients that he has successfully served for decades.
Complementing his trial and appellate work, Mr. Morin advises clients on their IP portfolios and strategies, assists with licensing and transactional issues, and counsels clients on legal positions, responsibilities, and risk management.
Mr. Morin is widely recognized as a preeminent trial lawyer.
- Praised as a “natural-born leader” and a “talented, extremely clever, hardworking and experienced lawyer” who “you can trust with your crown jewel assets.” He has the ability to “stand up in court and present complex subject matter in an even-handed, compelling way.” One client notes, “The litigation profession is becoming increasingly uncivil, so it’s great when you get to deal with someone like Mike.” – IAM Patent 1000 2016-2019
- A “down-to-earth and likeable guy in court who is brilliant at simplifying complex technical material” and “maintains excellent command of his team and has real presence in the courtroom.” – IAM Patent 1000 2019-20 (Gold ranking each year)
- “Fantastic oral advocate in court or arbitrations. Masterful at telling story and integrating complex facts and legal principles. Excellent overall team leader with focus on big picture and the client’s goals. Excellent writer too. Very ethical.” The Legal 500 US 2020
- Recommended Lawyer for Life Sciences – The Legal 500 US 2017-18
- Litigator of the Week, February 8, 2019, for MorphoSys v. Janssen win involving J&J’s blockbuster Darzalex® product – American Lawyer
- Runner-up for American Lawyer’s Litigator of the Week for multiple matters 2019-21
- Winner, General Patent Litigator of the Year – District of Columbia – LMG Life Sciences 2020 (shortlisted 2018, 2019)
- Life Sciences Star – Legal Media Group and Euromoney 2016-20
- IP Star and shortlisted for Outstanding Litigator: District of Columbia – Managing Intellectual Property 2019, 2020
- Recommended for Patents, Patent Litigation – Who’s Who Legal 2016-2021
- National Litigation Practice Area Star – Benchmark Litigation 2020-2021
Mr. Morin also devotes considerable time to pro bono activities, representing disabled veterans in civil matters and indigent defendants in criminal cases.
Mr. Morin is a faculty member of the Trial Advocacy College at the University of Virginia, and led the Working Group on parallel district court and PTO proceedings for the Sedona Conference.